We believe you have a fundamental right to privacy on the web, and we work to protect your security online. This policy applies to link, link different specific web properties (e.g. campaign sites) may use the same or have site-specific privacy and cookies policies. We will always seek your approval for other use of your data if your consent is not covered by this policy.
- This website privacy statement is designed to be published on our website.
- This website privacy statement is designed to give general information, seeking to meet the requirements of the GDPR, to individuals whose personal data Greenpeace and entities it control in their capacity as visitor to this website.
- This document is not designed to be addressed to employees or other staff members or other individuals who deal with us (i.e. other than as casual website visitors) in their personal capacity.
Greenpeace International, the independent national/regional Greenpeace organisations in the Greenpeace network (together: “Greenpeace”) and entities Greenpeace controls are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This privacy statement sets out the basis on which we will process any personal information that we may collect about you as a visitor to this website. We therefore ask you to read this privacy statement carefully.
The information that we collect about you
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you give us: This is information about you that you give to us by: (i) making use of our website and the options on our website (e.g. in the event you would sign a petition or make donation), (ii) subscribing to the receipt of updates by email, (iii) contacting us for information or help, (iv) signing your name on a list of signatures, (v) becoming a donor via other ways than the internet, (vi) participating in Greenpeace campaigns, (vii) responding to any survey on this website, or (viii) providing information through third party websites or apps provided that you explicitly gave your consent to the applicability of this privacy statement through such third party website or app. It may include, for example, your name, address, email address or telephone number.
- Information that our website and other systems collect about you:
- If you visit our website third parties (Google Analytics) will collect some information about you and your visit, such as your browser type and version and the pages on our site that you visit. Google Analytics will not collect the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet. You can request Google to provide an extraction of your data related to Greenpeace International website. This information can be used for statistical purposes and will help us improve our website.
- Our website may also download “cookies” to your device – this is described in our cookie statement (below).
- If you exchange emails, telephone conversations or other electronic communications (including comments on this website) with our employees and other staff members or, as the case may be, electronic communication means on third party websites or apps – such as chatbots linked to us – information technology systems will record details of those conversations, sometimes including their content.
- Information that third parties collect about you on our website by performing actions: This is information about you that you give to third parties (such as Facebook, Google and Twitter) by making use of the social network sharing buttons and widgets available on our website.
- Information that third parties collect about you on our website by browsing it: This is information about you recorded / tracked by third parties just by making use of the website itself, such as navigating from one page to another (this event will be tracked) or by viewing an embedded Facebook video (if you are logged into Facebook) .
The use of your information we collect
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- to make your actions known on our website and to third parties. For example, your name may appear together with your comments on our website. To inspire others to take action, we may also show your name and a summary of what you have just done on our website, for instance, if you sign a petition or make a donation. If you petition someone using our website – for example a government official or company CEO – then we may send your name and email address with your message to them;
- to send you updates and alerts by email, mail, instant messaging, push notifications or telephone.
We will only process your personal information as necessary for the purposes described above. In doing so, we will consider the balance between your privacy and our interest in processing and refrain from processing if your privacy interest overrides our legitimate interest.
In exceptional circumstances we may also be required by law to disclose or otherwise process your personal information. We will tell you, when we ask you to provide information about yourself, if provision of the requested information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or, on the other hand, if it is purely voluntary and there will be no implications if you decline to provide the information. If you are uncertain as to our need for information that we request from you, please contact our representative asking for the information, or contact us (see below), with your query.
Disclosure and international transfer of your information
We may disclose personal information about you where we have obtained your consent or where it is reasonably necessary for the various purposes set out above:
- to a Greenpeace NRO based in the country you took action from on this International website;
- to service providers who host our website or other information technology systems or otherwise hold or process your information on our behalf, under at least the same level of strict conditions of confidentiality and security;
- to judicial authorities or other public authorities, in case our legal or moral responsibility compels us to do so (e.g. if you express intent about performing a terrorist activity);
- or litigation counterparties, in any country or territory, although only if we are legally required to do so and have no satisfactory basis or prospect to challenge disclosure.
These disclosures may involve transferring your personal information overseas. If you are dealing with us within the European Economic Area, you should be aware that this may include transfers to countries outside the European Economic Area, which do not have similarly strict data privacy laws. In those cases, where we transfer personal data to the independent Greenpeace NROs or our service providers, we will ensure that our arrangements with them are governed by data transfer agreements or mechanisms, designed to ensure that your personal information is protected (including, where appropriate, under an agreement on terms approved for this purpose by the European Commission).
Please contact us (see below) if you would like to know whether any such agreements are in place or, if so, to see a copy.
Retention and deletion of your information
We intend to keep your personal information accurate and up-to-date. We will delete the information that we hold about you when we no longer need it.
We will retain your information for no longer than 2 years after our most recent communication with you, after which it will be deleted or anonymised, unless we have a legal obligation to retain it for a longer period. Contact us for more information.
You may have a right of access to the personal information that we hold about you, and to some related information, under data protection law.
- You can also require any inaccurate personal information to be corrected or deleted.
- You can object to our use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes at any time and you may have the right to object to our processing of some or all of your personal information (and require them to be deleted) in some other circumstances.
- In some circumstances, you may also have a “data portability” right to require us to transfer your personal data to you or to a new service provider (e.g. if you wish your data to be transferred from us to another Greenpeace organisation).
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us as set out below. We are obliged to request proof of identity before access to your personal information is given.
If you would like us to remove your information from our mailing list, you can click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email we sent to you or contact us as set out below.
You can also lodge a complaint about our processing of your personal information with the body regulating data protection in your country (details are available here).
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures to secure personal data against loss or against any form of unlawful processing. Our donation pages are secured using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), a security protocol that provides communications privacy over the Internet in a way that is designed to prevent eavesdropping, tampering, or message forgery.
Only employees who require to access information about supporters and website visitors to perform their work are granted access to your personal data.
We welcome questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy statement and our processing of personal information.
or contact us via:
104 37 Athens
Tel: +30 210 3840774-5
Fax: +30 210 3804008
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to this privacy statement in the future will be posted to our website and also available if you contact Us as set out above.
Please check back frequently to see any changes.
Last updated: 24 October 2019